Examples of Key Partners
The Lake Decatur-Upper Sangamon River Watershed Committee was formed in 1989 to revive the progress started in 1943. The Committee is co-chaired by a full time farmer and a current Council person for the City of Decatur. The committee members include farmers, county representatives the local Macon County SWCD (MCSWCD) and the other SWCD's in the watershed, the federal USDA-NRCS, and others. Because of the urban-farmer dialog, community based interest in both natural resource protection and enhancement of education, and an understanding of the connection between urban jobs and rural crops, the partnership grew to include Richland Community College, the Agriculture Watershed Institute (AWI), the Garden Club of Decatur, and the Macon County Lady Landowners.
In October of 2002, the MCSWCD's Foundation located their building on the Richland campus and under President Bush's Administration, USDA-FSA and NRCS located their local office in the Foundation building. This District/USDA/Community College partnership is the second of its kind in the nation. Last year AWI located their institute in the Foundation building. The Garden Club of Decatur and Macon County Lady Landowners have provided funding to install wildlife habitat, prairie plantings at the MCSWCD Building.